Celebrate Social Media Day 2011 With a Mashable Meetup
We’re thrilled to announce our second annual Social Media Day will be held Thursday, June 30, 2011. The global event is a celebration of the technological advancements that enable everyone to connect with real-time information, communicate from miles apart and have their voices be heard.
We invite you to connect with fellow web enthusiasts by hosting a Social Media Day Meetup in your area. There’s no better way to celebrate the revolution of media becoming a social dialogue than by socializing with your online community offline.
A Mashable Meetup can take just about any shape you’d like depending on what best suits your social community. For planning tips, check out our how-to guide. For updates and to find out what other organizers are cooking up, follow our @mashsmday Twitter account and like our Social Media Day Facebook Page.
Ways You Can Participate
- Sign up to attend or organize your own event on the Mashable Meetup Everywhere page.
- Share what you’re doing for your Mashable Meetup or leave suggestions for others in the comments below.
- Use the #smday hashtag on Twitter.
- Find a Mashable Meetup community in your area:
Social Media Day 2010 Highlights
- Vancouver and Victoria, B.C. declared Social Media Day an official holiday.
- 30,000 tweets with hashtag #SMDay.
- Thousands of photos and videos on Flickr, YouTube and Facebook.
- Live streams throughout the world.
- Seeds planted for ongoing monthly Mashable Meetups.
- An alpaca in Cleveland, Ohio.
- Follow Mashable Social Media on Twitter
- Become a Fan on Facebook
- Subscribe to the Social Media channel
- Download our free apps for Android, Mac, iPhone and iPad
Wondering what a Social Media Day Meetup will look like? Last year there were more than 600 Meetups in 93 countries with nearly 12,000 attendees. Here are some of our favorite moments:
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Chennai, India meetup had games, networking and charity all tied into the social event. To see more photos from the event, check out the stream of Flickr.
The Vancouver meetup included the official proclamation from the city naming June 30th Social Media Day. Here is Pete Cashmore, who was in attendance, holding up the proclamation.
Mashable NYC Team
The New York City meetup was hosted by the Mashable team with help from Girls in Tech. With more than 300 in attendance, we snapped this shot just before the festivities began. Top: Matt Silverman, Vadim Lavrusik, Erica Swallow, Lauren Indvik, Zach Sniderman, Brett Petersel, Adam Ostrow, Adam Hirsch. Bottom: Stefanie Rennert, Stephanie Marcus, Brenna Ehrlich, Sharon Hirsch. To see the rest of the photos from the NYC event, go to the Mashable Flickr stream.
New York City
The New York meetup brought more than 350 people for some big-city networking and an overall good time.
The Miami meetup celebrated in true social media fashion by offering complimentary champagne to those that checked in on Foursquare, tweet out #SMday or update their status on Facebook. To see the full photos from the meetup, you can checkout this slideshow.
The San Francisco meetup was one of the largest Social Media Day events, and put on by our Mashable team in San Francisco. Here is Mashable’s Ben Parr with a group of attendees.
The Boston meetup included a great panel and turnout of social enthusiasts. Pictured here is Dan Zarrella. To see the rest of the photos by Steve Garfield, check out the Flickr stream.
For more Social Media coverage: